W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > October 2014

HTML-a11y TF minutes for 10/09/2014

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:06:25 -0700
To: "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>
Message-ID: <047701cfe3da$fb51a000$f1f4e000$@ca>
 

http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html

 


HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference


09 Oct 2014


See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-irc> 


Attendees


Present

janina, Liam, Joanmarie_Diggs, paulc, JF, Judy, Rich_Schwerdtfeger,
Cynthia_Shelly

Regrets

Chair

Janina

Scribe

JF


Contents


*	Topics <http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#agenda>


1.	Identify Scribe
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item01> 
2.	TPAC 2014
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item02> 
3.	Longdesc Progress
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03> 
4.	Alt Note Status
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item04> 
5.	Canvas 2D -- Missing requirement in the CR spec
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item05> 
6.	TF Work Items (HTML.Next)
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item06> 

*	Summary of Action Items
<http://www.w3.org/2014/10/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#ActionSummary> 

  _____  

<trackbot> Date: 09 October 2014

<janina> trackbot, next item

<trackbot> Sorry, janina, I don't understand ' trackbot, next item'. Please
refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc
<http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc%3E> > for help.


Identify Scribe
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List


<scribe> scribe: JF


TPAC 2014


JS: PF have a clear list of who we need to meet with at TPAC, HTML and SVG
of note
... PF will join the HTML WG in your larger room

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-10-Agenda#Agenda

will discuss SVG - graphics taxonomy

(there is a TF in the works for that now)

<Judy> [judy looks fwd to seeing that]

alos wish to follow up on the need for event numeration - plan to present
requirements and use-cases and ask for solutions

previous concerns over security have impacted this discussion in the past -
so plan is to ask for solutions rather than say what we need

afternoon Thrusday - PF will be meeting with D-Pub after lunch, then after
break return to larger HTML WG to present our discussions

one key topic is expansion of ARIA roles for document mark-up

subsequent to that, we will be having a discussion around testing

there is also a need for multiple-target needs for an enhanced longdesc or
described-at

<janina> Resource: TPAC 2014

<janina> HTML-WG: https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-10-Agenda

<janina> PF-WG: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/meetings/tp2014

<janina> Main Page: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

JS: there may be other discussions - media (John and Mark S will be meeting
with Web on TV folks on Monday.

There may also be other discussions in HTML WG

there is also a session with WebApps - they have been working with IndieUI

PC: SVG meeting times may need to be fine-tuned

RS: there may be a need for more time than originally envisioned

[discussion around meeting times]

JB: Final registration numbers are suggesting a large turn-out, so there is
some adjusting that needs to happen

PC: looking at PF et al to manage the meeting times


Longdesc Progress


JS: the news is, no news yet

JB: there is a draft decision in progress.
... expect to see it soon


Alt Note Status


JS: there are some additional bugs that need to be filed, need to get that
done. Plan to happen before the next meeting.
... Steve F has stepped down as editor, there is a proposed replacement

waiting for movement there

PC: there has been some off-line discussion, including why is it taking so
long? Appears to be blocked by the longdesc decision
... trying to understand what's next. Chairs looking to "unblock it"

JB: there are some dicsussion on this already. Different TF participants
have concerns on moving forward without the longdesc decision addressed
... depending on how that goes, there may be some significant changes
required to the Alt Text Document
... could create some misunderstanding to release it as is
... the document is a TF document, and request that the WG respect that, and
allow this to follow its course

JF: mostly to plus one Judy

PC: Aware of the discussion & history

if there are issues, then file the bugs

PC: keeping this in limbo does no-one any favors

<Zakim> liam, you wanted to object to a heartbeat as-is very strongly as it
could be very damaging, it basically contradicts longdesc, and yes there are
bugs filed

LIam: object strongly to publish this as is, due to issues around the
longdesc sensitivity

This is bad and damaging to publish this with wrong info

JF: +1 to Liam

<paulc> Links to the bugs?

JS: suggest that we may in fact be past the blockage now.
... whichever way the Director goes with the longdesc doc will have an
impact on the ALt Text document.

<liam> I filed https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26868 26869
and 26870 which are deliberately fairly high-level

PC: have not replaced the editor, gaterhing data on what we should do next
... believe we should keep Steve's name on the doc as editor

<ShaneM> tied up on another call. I have volunteered to take on whatever
additional editing is needed.

<ShaneM> (have also volunteered)

JB: this needs to be handled at a coordination level

JS: history of this doc tells us the original reason that the work on this
document started is no longer there. It was to off-set some poor information
in the earlier HTML 5 document, and it has had an impact on the HJTML5 spec
- it succeeded in doing what it set out to do
... now we need to ensure that 2 W3C documents are in sync, and not saying
different things

PC: are there bugs there?

JS: nont filed yet, but do not anticipate this being a long process

CS: perhaps ask WCAG if they want to take up the Best Practices as WCAG
Techniques

JB: the content of this document actually spans several different resources
- including WCAG Techniques - there are also types of "tutorial" content.
Don't want to lose what Steve has contributed there

<paulc> If it is true that this document serves a significant different role
than the current WD at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html-alt-techniques-20121025/ then that is a
strong reason to get a new document on the TR page.

JB: thus it doesn't directly map just to WCAG - spans multiple viewpoints.
Strong opinion that this document be maintained by WAI groups in the future

<paulc> And I keep hearing that there are more and more yet defined changes
to the current document so arguing against a heartbeat now seems wrong.

<janina> Paul, I was trying to say that it serves a different role today
than the role for which it was initially created

JB: there is a syncronization concern, but hope is to address that fairly
quickly (after the longdesc decision)
... moving forward (new techiques, etc.) to also keep all that sync'd there

<ShaneM> Won't this document need to go through another CfC round if we edit
it substantially with longdesc stuff?

JB: the number of changes are small and finite, but unsure if they are all
filed as bugs

<paulc> There are no bugs for what Janina referred to.

JS: the original CfC was also flawed

<paulc> Please file the ALL the bugs that describe the work that needs to be
done on this document.

PC: heard Liam's concern about 2 documents that are in conflict - but now
hearing that there are multiple new content to be added
... don't understand why a heartbeat cannot be published now

JB: this has been explained in multiple ways - the TF feels very strongly
here to not do this, don't understand why that cannot be respected?

PC: can do that. people need to file the bugs and indicate what needs to be
done
... concern is that this document will not be published even into December

JB: have already previewed the EO work, so there should not be a huge
impediment there
... this TF has stated multiple times what we believe is the most prudent
path

PC: Can respect this if TF can clearly define the bar that needs to be met

JB: clarity is the dependance on the longdesc decision

JS: I would say that that represents 90% of that
... however if we end up with enough significant changes there may be a need
for another CfC

JB: Makes sense to look at this after the bugs are filed


Canvas 2D -- Missing requirement in the CR spec


JS: What needs to happen next is on Janina (me) - Q: did the canvas group
meet? What needs to happen next?

<paulc> See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2014OctDec/0000.html

PC: believe this is being handled by the canvas TF
... next meeting on 10/10

<paulc> Agenda for Canvas TF meeting 10/10 -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2014OctDec/0010.html


TF Work Items (HTML.Next)


JS: have reviewed minutes going back to June, looking at what would
constitute HTML.next
... ASking Cyns about Menus - will we have time to look at this before or at
TPAC?

CS: unfortunately no

JF: ideas and discussion on transcripts

<paulc> TPAC Ad hoc meetings:
https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014/ad-hoc-meetings

PC: there is a wiki page for ad-hoc meetins at TPAC

<paulc> See TPAC home page: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/#participation

PC: there does not seem to be a direct link off of the TPAC page, but use
the link(s) provided

<liam> [ list of tpac registrants at
https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2014/registrants ]

Select participation and under the AC meetings and dinner, there is a
section for ad-hoc meetings

JS: next items owned by Chaals - accesskey and web-payments
... that leaves footnotes - expect that will come from D-pub
... let them help lay out requirements
... seem to be the key items

JF: David MacDonald and I have had a few brief discussions around footnotes

Liam: dpub community has concerns around footnotes as well - need to know
what kind of link it is

JS: any other comments?
... adjourned.


Summary of Action Items


[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 9 October 2014 16:07:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:44 UTC