Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 22 MAY 2014


The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 22 May 2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:




      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

22 May 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/22-html-a11y-irc


          Mark_Sadecki, LJWatson, janina, JF, chaals, PaulC,
          Cynthia_Shelly, David_MacDonald


          MarkS, chaals


     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Longdesc
         2. [5]Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
         3. [6]Alt Guidance
         4. [7]Our HTML 5.1 Objectives
         5. [8]Media Subteam
         6. [9]Bug Triage
         7. [10]Alt Guidance
         8. [11]Bug Triage
     * [12]Summary of Action Items

   <trackbot> Date: 22 May 2014

   <MarkS> scribe: MarkS

Longdesc [13]http://www.w3.org/mid/op.xf7vwvwfy3oazb@chaals.local

     [13] http://www.w3.org/mid/op.xf7vwvwfy3oazb@chaals.local

   CN: Paul Cotton has been prodding mark and I to make progress
   on longdesc.
   ... we have a test suite
   ... may have a CR ready spec soon.
   ... CfC in TF for test suite, then on to HTML

   PC: don't we need to just get the CR ready?
   ... we just need to get into CR
   ... i don't want longdesc to fall behind HTML5
   ... HTML5 is prob going to go to LC in June
   ... lets get a CR ready doc in front of the TF for a CfC

   CN: Mark and I should have time this week to get that ready

Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps

   <chaals> scribe: chaals

   <MarkS> [14]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Canvas

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Canvas

   <paulc> [15]http://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/3850

     [15] http://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/3850

   MS: HTMLWG published lastcall for canvas 2d level 1

   ... subteam talked about implementations

   <MarkS> [16]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/19-html-a11y-minutes.html

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/19-html-a11y-minutes.html

   ... Rik and Firefox settled their hit regions differences,
   expect support this week (nightly), Safari were happy, and
   Chrome / Samsung are working on hitregions (theyhave drawfocus)

   ... so we are looking good on getting the implementations

   ... HTML chairs were asking for level 2 heartbeat, so tossing
   that around, along with questions on the future of the TF.

   PC: How are you going to process questions on the future?

   MS: Email to HTML WG chairs. Now we don't have accessibility
   issues, what should we do with the subgroup?

   PC: Plan to ask us makes sense.

   [exploration of levels and how to decide what goes into which

   <MarkS> scribe: MarkS

Alt Guidance

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0062.html

   JS: Steve is clearing bugs on the document. apparently there is
   one outstanding bug. have not seen a response from him re the
   status of completion of that document
   ... I will write him again. there is at least one open bug that
   needs to be resolved before we can move on.

   PC: When you do that CfC, you will want to point to the bugs
   that Steve has processed. Will need a pointer for that.

   JS: the intent is to have pointers to all of the bugs. I have
   started this effort.

   PC: Steve is also a good resource for that as well as my emails
   on the topic

   CN: We need to figure out what we want to focus on before we
   miss that window
   ... there is a list on the wiki
   ... what is the progress? is anything missing?

Our HTML 5.1 Objectives

     [18] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist


     [19] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

   <chaals> MS: Have been trying to formalise the process of
   tracking these things. We nominated people for these topics,
   and sent emails to the people asking for topic "leader" to
   outline the topic a bit more clearly - need for accessibility,
   identifying gaps, guess at degree of difficulty

   <chaals> ... there is a page for each item, people have
   *started* chasing up items.

   <chaals> ... Please look at these tasks, start fleshing them
   out with details

   <chaals> CS: How to add more items?

   <chaals> MS: in the wiki - see link above

Media Subteam

   <chaals> scribe: Chaals

   MS: Been making progress on Media Accessibility User
   Requirements - believe we have addressed all comments, need to
   send replies to the commenters.

   ... will probably be on back burner for a week or two while we
   are working on Web/TV IG use cases and requirements.

   ... Meet Tuesday next week to finalise response to Web/TV IG.

   <MarkS> [20]http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

     [20] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

Bug Triage

   <MarkS> scribe: MarkS

   LW: no bug triage meeting this week
   ... no news
   ... we still have 5.0 bugs that need to be looked at by chaals
   and cyns

   PC: are there 5.0 bugs that need reviewing?

   <SteveF> hello!

   LW: there are a few bugs that were marked as resolved, wont fix
   or needs info that need to be followed up on just to make sure
   they are not 5.0 issues or if they can move to 5.1 or close
   them permanently.

   PC: do you have a quantitative description of this work?

   LW: there were 75-100, accepted the majority of those. a
   handful have been moved to 5.1 (4 in the a11y TF component)

   MS: the media ones have been addressed in the sub team

   PC: would like it if you could provide a summary of this work.
   probably won't need this info, but its possible that the
   Director may ask for this info given the priority accessibility
   ... not trying to generate work, but if it can be easily done
   using bugzilla searches
   ... an email to the TF list would be perfect

   <chaals> ACTION: leonie to summarise numerically what happened
   to bugs that went through triage [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-254 - Summarise numerically what
   happened to bugs that went through triage [on Léonie Watson -
   due 2014-05-29].

Alt Guidance

     [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Apr/0062.html

   <chaals> CMN: Is the alt doc finished?

   CN: is alt finished? is there a list of bugs closed?

   SF: all the bugs minus one have been closed. I'm making
   editorial fixes today as well. its very close to being
   finished. bug is not a problematic bug. will close it today or
   ... its in pretty good shape.

   JS: I have an action from this group to pull together a
   confirming CfC once you're finished to validate all your work.
   Here is what has been done, list of bugs, etc. is everyone
   satisfied. is there consensus to publish standalone and all the
   changes to html5. would love help with that.

   SF: i've been working furiously on this document. My plan is to
   have it complete by tomorrow. I'll be away next week. I will
   attempt to pull the bug stuff together this weekend. It
   shouldn't take long. I've done this partially in the past.

   PC: there are 2 bug lists that would be useful

   <cyns> rssagent make minutes

   PC: archive this as a WG note, and the work in HTML5

   JS: I plan on doing both

   PC: would be useful to reference in the WG note

   <SteveF> paulc: gotcha re bug lists

   CN: once longdesc gets further along, what does that do the the
   ALT document?

   SF: ...for advice on using longdesc?

   CN: yes, how many bugs, how difficult to deal with

   SF: I just added an example to a bug D Mac added RE extended
   description stuff. I would just add an example of something
   similar for longdesc. I don't think it needs anything
   complicated. I don't see a major issue in using longdesc as an
   example as well.

   DM: I see you suggested using figure with role of group, have
   you done any testing?

   SF: yes, I did it that way because it actually works. I've
   tested. there is aria-label and aria-labelledby i think in

   DM: and everyone is OK with that? rather than just having
   something that follows

   CN: will have to wait until we see it in writing

   SF: the other example, the image was wrapped in a link. the
   link text was the alt text, which pointed to the longer
   description. I didn't add a case of it being below to that, it
   wasn't necessary there.
   ... its there now, so you can review it.

   DM: there is no example for text on the page that appears
   following the image. I've recommended that practice myself.

   SF: I'm not saying to drop the practice, I just don't have an
   example in this document. We're not trying to include *every*
   scenario here. In time, it will be overtaken by WAI Tutorials
   ... pointer to additional guidance at top of section. always
   room for improvement, but we have to get this wrapped up.

Bug Triage

   CS: RE my bugs. I handled these back in Feb. Some were moved to
   5.1. 1 is waiting for a response from Robin.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: leonie to summarise numerically what happened to
   bugs that went through triage [recorded in

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [24]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([25]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-05-22 18:21:43 $

     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 22 May 2014 18:24:15 UTC