[MEDIA] Minutes from HTML Accessibility Media Sub-Group Teleconference - 19 MAY 2014

The minutes are available in HTML and text for your reference.  Other details
related to the Media Sub-Group, including an archive of meeting minutes, are
available on their wiki: <https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Sub-Group>




      [1] http://www.w3.org/

          HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Media Sub-Group

19 May 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/19-html-a11y-media-irc


          Mark_Sadecki, Shane McCarron, WuWei, janina, JF

          Mark Sadecki



     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
         2. [5]Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements
         3. [6]Update on Bug 13437 from John
         4. [7]TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements
     * [8]Summary of Action Items

   <trackbot> Date: 19 May 2014

   <MarkS> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Sub-Group

Identify Scribe

   <scribe> ScribeNick: ShaneM

   <MarkS> scribe: ShaneM

Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements Comments

   MarkS: Updated the document with things agreed upon to date.
   Cross referenced and identified a few we had either missed or
   are new.


      [9] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/MAUR_Comment_Processing#In_Progress


     [10] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/details?comment_id=375

   MarkS: talked with christian and sylvia and agreed to keep the
   requirements on ecc in there, but did not make the section less

   janina: James thinks the section is too vague?

   MarkS: No - the note after it.

   janina: Do we even need that note? We don't need to propose
   solutions in a Note document like this.

   MarkS: I like that solution
   ... there are items that have notes and items that do not. We
   don't need to be consistent by maintaining this note.

   No objections.

   RESOLUTION: Remove the note from ECC4


     [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/media-accessibility-reqs/#KA-1

   Next comment from James was 4.1 - KA1

   <MarkS> [12]http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-focusable-element

     [12] http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-focusable-element

   He requested that we define unique focus object. We do not have
   a definition for it.

   scribe: maybe point to something in UAAG.

   janina: Lets point to their definition.

   MarkS: The closest is "focusable element"
   ... maybe we should reword so our terminology is more
   consistent with the UAAG terminology.

   janina: maybe ask UAAG people to recommend the right
   ... they submitted comments earlier. They should continue to be
   part of the process.
   ... we should not use focusable element - we are not
   necessarily talking about elements.


     [13] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/MAUR_Comment_Processing#In_Progress


     [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/details?comment_id=375

   <MarkS> 4.1 [KA-1] Define "unique focus object"

   ShaneM: This is not an unreasonable request.

   janina: agreed. what kind of objects are we talking about?

   MarkS: It is a general description for an interface that
   requires the concept of focus.

   JF: It could be a slider, etc. a "widget". Controls.

   janina: anything the user can select or interact with.

   MarkS: We could expand it to talk about focusable element
   "where focusable elements are employed".

   janina: are we only talkonig about elements? what about a
   ... the list of translations is probably an element. I am happy
   to say element if that covers things. But we may have to come
   back to this.

   MarkS: we could say "where focusable elements are present".

   janina: anything a user can interact with needs to be
   ... what if we list some examples? "any elements with which a
   user may interact"

   JF: What if we list some examples? "Examples include..."

   janina: We want to ensure that all objects are focusable.

   JF: that is covered in KA-2

   MarkS: We do have access to a definition of "user agent user

   JF: the problem is that you can script your own controls and we
   need to ensure those are accessible. that's the problem we are
   trying to solve.

   MarkS: we could possibly combine some definitions.

   janina: I like the idea of using definitions from the group who
   is supposed to be paying attention to this.

   <MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to talk to UAWG RE Unique Focus Object
   [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-249 - Talk to uawg re unique focus
   object [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-05-26].


     [16] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/details?comment_id=450


     [17] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/MAUR_Comment_Processing#In_Progress



   MarkS: Combine the existing text and the suggested list.

   janina: is the list comprehensive?

   ShaneM: No - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't recommend that
   people use it.

   MarkS: We could omit the word "directly"...

   RESOLUTION: Add the text from from comment 450 to the intro to
   section 1.

   <MarkS> [19]http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#DV-7

     [19] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#DV-7

   Commenter asks what "provider" means.

   MarkS: We dont use that term anywhere else. I think we meant

   ShaneM: Agree we should say user, but note that it is the exact
   opposite of what it says now.

   RESOLUTION: Change the term "provider" to "user" in DV-7.

   Next comment was about pointing to external examples.

   MarkS: Two links were broken already. And it may look dated in
   the future.

   janina: he's correct. we should not be pointing to 404s

   MarkS: we don't even need to point to examples. The document
   defines what success is.

   janina: we do plan on having a resource with good examples

   JF: a good example at WGBH. Maybe we can get access to that.

   janina: we have interest from lots of places about this. not
   worried about it.

   A wiki that demonstrates solutions for each item would be a
   good resource but we would need to maintain it.

   <JF> NCAM example here:

     [20] http://ncamftp.wgbh.org/rd/quadratic/


     [21] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13437

   Is this a 5.0 or a 5.1 issue?

   JF: this is more about author education. it might need to be

   janina: 5.1 is acceptable.

   MarkS: I am happy with that.

   janina: and btw 5.1 is not that far in the future
   ... 5.1 goes to last call in q4

   let's defer this so we can work on use cases.

Update on Bug 13437 from John

TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements

   MarkS: we need to get any use cases submitted by the end of the
   ... we need a strategy and then should work via email over the
   next 11 days.
   ... They have said the would welcome both updated version 1 use
   cases and new ones.


     [22] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases


     [23] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/07-html-a11y-media-minutes.html

   JF: I could take on the first four.

   janina: the comments are pretty much the same on all of them.

   MarkS: I can take the comments on the first 7 and turn them
   into comments.

   JF: I can take on 8-12

   janina: I will look for new ones

   We will meet on Tuesday, May 27

   <JF> ACTION: JF to review use-cases 8-12 for Accessibiloity
   [recorded in

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-250 - Review use-cases 8-12 for
   accessibility considerations
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/media_apis/use_cases [on
   John Foliot - due 2014-05-26].

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/media_apis/use_cases

   <wuwei> bye

   <MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to turn notes on UC 1-7 into something
   more formal [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-251 - Turn notes on uc 1-7 into
   something more formal [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-05-26].

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: JF to review use-cases 8-12 for Accessibiloity
   [recorded in
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to talk to UAWG RE Unique Focus Object
   [recorded in
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to turn notes on UC 1-7 into something more
   formal [recorded in

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [32]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([33]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-05-19 18:55:56 $

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Monday, 19 May 2014 18:58:06 UTC