W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > July 2014

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 31 JUL 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark.sadecki@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:22:56 -0400
Message-ID: <CAOego5NKK4CFbXN7TeAPSzwtrDRwTP0aHNsnPJg4nDA30ES5sQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,
The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 17 July
2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:
[1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

31 Jul 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
   janina, Judy, [Microsoft], Sam, Adrian_Roselli, MarkS,
   Cynthia_Shelly, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot

   Regrets
   Chair
   Janina

   Scribe
   MarkS

Contents

     * [3]Topics
     1. [4]Identify Scribe
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
     ibe_List
     2. [5]Longdesc
     3. [6]Techniques for providing useful text alternatives
     4. [7]Media Subteam
     5. [8]HTML 5.1 Next Steps
     6. [9]Picture Element Alt
     http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-
     content.html#an-image-in-a-picture-element
     7. [10]Other Business
     8. [11]Identify Chair and Scribe for the next TF
     teleconference
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
     ibe_List
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 31 July 2014

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe
[13]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [13] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   <paulc> trackbot, start meeting

   <trackbot> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force
   Teleconference

   <trackbot> Date: 31 July 2014

   <scribe> scribe: MarkS

Longdesc

   JS: Did our best to respond to ted oconnor. I think it was a
   good one. We issued a decision.
   ... conversation continued in the thread, with additional
   questions, but no one objected
   ... PF also had a lot of support
   ... HTML CfC closes tomorrow
   ... need to coordinate on next steps. Would like to know how
   long the CR should be
   ... per Plan 2014, HTML will be moving forward on schedule
   (soon). would like to mesh well with that spec.
   ... would like to capitalize on all the promotion that will be
   going on for HTML and make sure we can say it's accessible.
   ... We think end of october should be a good target date for
   longdesc
   ... every CfC takes two weeks for us on this. We don't have
   much wiggle room. In order to get through CR, transition
   meetings, etc we need minimal length CR

   JB: we have an extra lap in the process for each transition,
   because the CfCs have to be done in the TF and the parent
   groups

   JS: the main discussion for us today is to commit to a
   timeline.
   ... we have all the evidence we need for a zero CR, but since
   its been so long since LCWD, we should have a non-zero CR
   period

   <paulc> The candidate CR document is dated June 20 and states
   "This Candidate Recommendation is expected to advance to
   Proposed Recommendation no earlier than 07 August 2014." which
   seems to imply at least a one month CR period.

   JS: we have a table that shows the requirements and how they
   are being satisfied (test results)

   <janina>
   [14]https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-result
   s.html

     [14] https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-results.html

   PC: originally agreed to a 1 month CR. is that what we are
   looking at shrinking?

   JS: yes

   JB: director is aware we would like to move this quickly, so I
   think we can aim for 1st week of august for the CR transition
   ... our timeline was compressed as soon as we found out HTML
   was moving earlier.

   PC: my recommendation is that the transition request have
   everything that is needed to get out of CR included.
   ... it will help justify the speedy timeline.
   ... are you comfortable with having a CR period of less than 1
   month, and how much less?

   <janina>
   [15]https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-result
   s.html

     [15] https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-results.html

   JB: we have a nice evidence. People should look at that to see
   if there is anything missing from this. Is this satisfactory to
   exit CR?

   JS: Is there anyone concerned about shortening the CR period
   for longdesc?

   [no response]

   JB: encourage people to look at test results.

   PC: the large number of fails should warrant some sort of
   summary.

   JB: everything I can look at, indicates that there is at least
   2 passes. There are some questions though, so it should be
   cleaned up and summarized.
   ... should tweak the table format as well
   ... to make it clear

   +1

   JS: We need a report that demonstrates that we meet the exit
   criteria. this was scoped more widely than that

   <JF> +1 to Janina's comment (re: scope)

   JB: I will work with Liam to clarify what is necessary, and
   what is not
   ... i would like to check the directors schedule to see if we
   can aim for a tuesday publication. if not, hopefully thursday

   <rubys>
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014J
   ul/0047.html

     [16]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jul/0047.html

   PC: HTML CfC closes on Friday.

   <rubys> "If there are no objections by Fri Aug 1"

   PC: advise that the Transition request be started ASAP

   SR: who is going to do the transition request?

   PC: i was gently suggesting you

   SR: I will have a draft with lots of blanks to fill in tomorrow

   JS: we have a plan if HTML CfC goes well.
   ... we will create the report that satisfies EC
   ... this will put us on a good timeline to reach TR around the
   same time as HTML5

Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

   JS: Haven't heard from Steve or Robin. Not sure what our next
   step is

   DM: Steve indicated he wanted to leave it open for changes

   PC: not consistent with CfC to publish as a note

   JB: need to discuss with steve. this is not an option.
   ... since its a note, it can be updated in the future, there is
   a process for that.

   JS: if there were significant changes, the CfC's may be
   invalidated.

   DM: most of the recent work has been mostly editorial

   PC: there are two formal objections on HTML5 regarding this
   document because it was on rec track, but I think we can clear
   those when this gets published as a note

Media Subteam

   JS: Media A11y User Req is ready this week, but there is a geek
   week moratorium. It should be good to go for next week.
   ... there are a number of people presenting in August. June and
   July's presenters should be closed out.
   ... I think chaals is back in August. he has a few
   presentations.

HTML 5.1 Next Steps

Picture Element Alt
[17]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content.htm
l#an-image-in-a-picture-element

     [17]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content.html#an-image-in-a-picture-element

   JS: Steve has given us proposed spec language, relevant to the
   picture element. there hasn't been much discussion.

   JF: i noticed that there are two competing ways for specifying
   multiple assets. picture element and srcset
   ... from an a11y perspective, is the guidance that steve has
   here the same or is there now a conflict.

   <paulc> Both srcset and <picture> are in HTML 5.1 and they form
   an integrated solution today.

   PC: that is no longer true. they have both been integrated into
   5.1 in an integrated way. Someone in the TF needs to do due
   diligence and verify that this work is accessible.

   JS: doesn't seem hard to do, we just need to do it.

   JF: I'm busy, but i would dlike to take a look

   MS: I can help with that.

   JF: MarkS, lets coordinate on this and aim for a couple weeks
   out. Maybe mark and I can do a report 2nd or 3rd week of august

   <scribe> ACTION: MarkS and JF to present on picture element and
   srcset for a11y concerns [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   1]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-278 - And jf to present on picture
   element and srcset for a11y concerns [on Mark Sadecki - due
   2014-08-07].

   PC: the decision has already passed in HTML, FYI

   JB: curious how much PF has looked at it.

   JS: I think we brought it up a number of times but saw no
   issues.
   ... now that we had that email from steve, it has prompted us
   to consider it again.

   JF: just talked to steve. he is on vacation but is willing to
   have a call with Janina regarding alt.

   JS: in an hour then.

Other Business

Identify Chair and Scribe for the next TF teleconference
[19]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [19] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: MarkS and JF to present on picture element and
   srcset for a11y concerns [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   1]

   [End of minutes]
   __________________________________________________________
   Minutes formatted by David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version
   1.138 ([22]CVS log)
   $Date: 2014-07-31 16:09:10 $
   __________________________________________________________

     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
   This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11
   Check for newer version at [23]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
   scribe/

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/transistion/transition/
Found Scribe: MarkS
Inferring ScribeNick: MarkS
Default Present: janina, Judy, [Microsoft], Sam, Adrian_Roselli, MarkS,
Cynthia_Shelly, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot
Present: janina Judy [Microsoft] Sam Adrian_Roselli MarkS Cynthia_Shelly
David_MacDonald John_Foliot
Found Date: 31 Jul 2014
Guessing minutes URL: [24]http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes
.html
People with action items: jf marks

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html
     [End of [25]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Thursday, 31 July 2014 16:23:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:43 UTC