Minutes from the 7 March Teleconference

Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force teleconference of Thursday 7 March are provided below in text, and are available as hypertext at:



                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                                 HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

07 Mar 2013

   See also: IRC log


          John_Foliot, Michael_Cooper, hober, Steve_Faulkner, Judy, Rich, Cynthia_Shelly, Janina_Sajka, paulc




     * Topics
         1. Longdesc Update http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Feb/0075.html
         2. Alt in the HTML Spec: Rewriting Sec.
         3. Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping;
         4. Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
         5. Action 22
         6. Action 155
         7. Action 154
         8. Action 152
         9. Other Business
     * Summary of Action Items

   <MichaelC> trackbot, start meeting

   <trackbot> Date: 07 March 2013

   <janina> Still not getting in !!

   <scribe> scribe: Rich

Longdesc Update http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Feb/0075.html

   <paulc> Cannot join by phone since I am at the YVR airport.

   steve: It has passed the HTML working group and will be published as a first public working draft

   <paulc> Please let me know if my phone attendance is Mandatory

   judy: yay!

   steve: conformance would mean you use longdesc in HTML

   judy: for any accessibility document we ordinarily try to do some explaining of it. Shawn Henry, as a member of EO, helps with that. We received a number of questions
   of what it was and how it fit in with other resources.
   ... a lot of people really don't understand what the extension view is wrt. HTML5
   ... with longdesc we need to take advantage of educating people on the changes in the spec.
   ... there are questions regarding "is this part of the spec.?"
   ... we need to do coordination.

   steve: shawn is going to put that together?

   judy: yes

   janina: So thinking of the things we should say is that first public working drafts trigger a patent review

   jf: do we have a review timeline?

   <paulc> The patent review timeline is automatic

   judy: the work happens concurrently

   <paulc> Ian Jacobs will send out a note to the WG

   john: when will the validator be updated?

   judy: the validator should update should happen relatively quickly post working draft release

   steve: this will not happen overnight

   Rich: what about
   ... What about ARIA?

   steve: there are several bugs.
   ... the bugs need to be reported.

   <paulc> Has the validator been updated for other extensions specs?

   steve: the implementation is from Henry Sivonen 2 years ago
   ... mike smith updates the validator

   <paulc> Not me

   rich: the reason I was asking about landmarks was we needed the validator to validate aria landmarks in the aria spec.

   <SteveF> reporting validator bugs http://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html#bugs

   janina: We will work on suggested edits.
   ... We may use longdesc to replace table summary
   ... then there is a process to go through last call

   <paulc> Janina, what "edits"?

   janina: we will then go through candidate recommendation.
   ... we need to show implementability. If we have it we can ask to have the spec. rolled back in to the HTML5 spec.

   judy: this is where we need to address messaging.
   ... we need factual background to put in writing

   <paulc> Are there any bugs open on this spec?

   janina: the first public working draft is a draft. There may be some edits to the longdesc spec.
   ... based on feedback

   <SteveF> paulc: Has the validator been updated for other extensions specs? yes validator supports other extension specs

   <paulc> apparently there are zero bugs:

   janina: we may choose to not make any edits

   <paulc> <thanks steve>

   steve: perhaps he has forgotten that this would happen.

   <janina> Paul, we're simply discussing various possibilities between FPWD and LC

   <SteveF> paulc : note also its explicitly called out in plan 2014 that longdesc validation support would occur

   <janina> One possibility with strong support is to leave things as they are

   steve: the further we try to push it the more push back we are going to get
   ... if we expand its scope we will get more push back
   ... My understanding is that Charles' position on longdesc is that the current implementations while provide enough support for it to go to recommendation.

   <paulc> Steve: I wrote the text "Additionally, the W3C staff will watch for drafts being published and keep the W3C validator up to date as appropriate."

   janina: We highly expect that ARIA 1.1 will take up aria-describedat
   ... We will then decide if the ARIA approach is sufficient
   ... Do we want to widen this beyond AT users.
   ... We have had pieces of this in the past.

   steve: we are talking about the performance discussion.

   <paulc> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2013Feb/0259.html for Silvia's disagreement with Charles' position.

   steve: I am unclear about the validation part
   ... I was under the impression that validation would be supported when longdesc reached first public working draft.

   <janina> Paul, any chance you can dialin briefly?

   steve: anything else?

   <paulc> getting setup

   jf: Silvia had a note about merging into HTML5.0 as being inconsistent with current implementations

   <JF> from silvia: Note that I maintain reservations about merging it both into HTML5.0

   <JF> (because of inconsistent current implementations) and HTML5.1 (because of

   <JF> the need for a more generic replacement attribute on all replaced

   <JF> elements). These are not relevant to this CfC at this time, but calls for

   <JF> action.

   steve: He does want it into HTML5
   ... he does NOT want it into HTML5 (correction)

   <paulc> Mike Smith has informed to Chairs "I wanted to give you guys a heads-up that I will be away from March 9 until March 19"

   janina: of those on the call there is a strong preference to leave things as they are.

   paulc: I suggest the task force file a bug regarding an expansion of longdesc and then discuss it.

   janina: we could point to the fact that other work is being done to encompass the other needs desired for a longdesc extension

   paulc: silvia thought the implementations were consistent enough to cover what was in the spec draft change.
   ... she does not think that longdesc should be expanded.

   steve: note that Mike C will be away

   paulc: in the past month or so Robin and Mike have been splitting the responsibility for getting the first public working draft published.
   ... Since Mike has indicated he would be away that one of us forward the working group decision to publish to Robin so that it can get published.
   ... I need to go in the next couple of minutes

   janina: we are going engage the WAI messaging machine

   judy: it provides an explanatory assist

Alt in the HTML Spec: Rewriting Sec.

   janina: this is a recap of what we discussed here at our last meeting
   ... we can leave things and then fix them in this section. The introduction will change and I have a draft I will deliver for next week
   ... we can change things as if we are starting from scratch
   ... is this the right explanation of alt?
   ... we will point to other documents an to WCAG in the spec. itself.
   ... it is important that if we are synching from a blank page to determine what is appropriate. We need to close on this relatively soon.

   steve: we need to look at what is slightly missing
   ... we don't need to use all of it wholesale.
   ... from perspective as one of the editors of html5 I need to process these things in the context of the rest of the spec. and review them as we go on to the next.

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping;

   steve: Leoni will start those meetings up again next week.
   ... David wanted to review the document.

   judy: the text sub team needed information from people in this meeting and not necessarily people in the subteam
 like fig caption word count. We are not meeting for now. the only counter consideration is that we don't have a big enough chunk of time to make headway outside
   this meeting.
   ... I will be away next week but possibly the next week would work

   cynthia: I just wanted to say I was here when we had the discussion at CSUN
   ... we have a good plan going forward. will do a bug a week.
   ... we will have bugs at end of day every friday with an email to that effect.

   steve: apologies to anyone who turned up last week.

Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

Action 22

   steve: that is on me

   <SteveF> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/155

Action 155

   steve: that is on John

   jf: I did send an email to UAIG

   <SteveF> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/154

Action 154

   jf: I don't know what that is

Action 152

   RESOLUTION: close action 152

   steve completed

   steve: completed

   RESOLUTION: close action 150

   <JF> Steve: re Action 154. I believe this remains a problem, can we add it to next weeks agenda?

   <SteveF> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/150

Other Business

   janina: we should let everyone know we are changing clocks on Sunday
   ... Europe will be an hour earlier for a few weeks
   ... spring forward, fall back

   jf: action 154, please put on next week's agenda

   <SteveF> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/154

   steve: there has been activity on the table summary bug
   ... I will provide an aria technique to the table summary technique
   ... Robin though it was a good idea.

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]


Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
  Email: janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Protocols & Formats http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
 Indie UI   http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/

Received on Thursday, 7 March 2013 17:07:36 UTC