Re: FW: longdesc extension question

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:32:39 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile <
> chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 01:15:37 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer <
>> silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Isn't that functionality provided by aria-describedby ?
>>>

>> only in the case where the target of describedby is local to the
>> document.
>> Unlike longdesc, aria-describedby cannot support external descriptions.
>>
>> (The long-term picture is that aria-describedat might be implemented and
>> change this, but currently it hasn't happened).
>>

> So do aria-describedby implementations suffer from the same problem of
> starting to read at the referred element rather than just reading the
> referred element?

Nope. They take the element referred. Longdesc suggests authors make that
feasible, but (for back-compat) doesn't require that.

> I'd suggest to use the same wording across both specs.

The two have different legacies over the decade since aria-describedby
appeared (only 5 years after longdesc!). Since these are legacy specs, and
hopefully in line to get obsoleted some time in the next decade (although
people have been saying that about longdesc for 7 years and have got
nowhere in that time), I think the differences are justified.

cheers

Chaals