From: Charles McCathie Nevile [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
Sent: 13 August 2013 15:10
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Subject: Testing longdesc...

Hi,

I wrote up some tests that I propose we consider for the longdesc spec.
They are basically manual tests.

Most of them are different combinations of longdesc types - internal "hash" reference, external url, data url, URL surrounded by whitespace - in different conditions - missing image, image is a data url, there is a base element, and so on.

These can each be used to test 3 different requirements: whether the long description is available to a user, whether it is exposed to an accessibilty API if the user agent connects to one, and whether the user can discover that a long description is available.

There are a couple of others I added to test specific things like what happens when the longdesc URL is changed by a script.

There is probably something missing, and there may be errors in, or improvements to be made to the tests I propose.

They are on github so you can propose changes as pull requests, if you're a github wiz - or by email if you like. We need a process for formally agreeing to adopt any test we want to use, and these are just personal input into that process...

[1] http://github.com/chaals/longdesc-tests