W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2013

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Telecon, 08 August 2013

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:02:55 -0400
Message-ID: <5203EB5F.6060802@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who attended the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference today 08 August 2013. The minutes are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2013/08/08-html-a11y-minutes.html


TEXT:
    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                   HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

08 Aug 2013

Attendees

    Present
           Mark_Sadecki, janina, Cynthia_Shelly, SuzanneT,
           John_Foliot, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, paulc

    Regrets
           David_MacDonald, Chaals, Judy, Leonie, SteveF

    Chair
           Janina_Sajka

    Scribe
           SuzanneT

Contents

      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]Identify Scribe
             http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
             ibe_List
          2. [4]Canvas 2D Testing
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0052.html
          3. [5]HTML5 testing
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0053.html
          4. [6]Longdesc Status Update
          5. [7]TF Work Statement CFC
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0044.html
          6. [8]Alt Edits Completed
          7. [9]HTML 5.1 Objectives -- Open Discussion
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe> scribe: SuzanneT

Identify Scribe
[11]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

      [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

    JS: perhaps we have quorum to run the call

    <janina> we've done that!

Canvas 2D Testing
[12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052
.html

      [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052.html

    Charles is promising work on tests

    No bugs filed on longdesc

HTML5 testing
[13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0053
.html

      [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0053.html

    <MarkS>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2013/08/html5-testing-summary.html

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2013/08/html5-testing-summary.html

    summary outlines position & recommended next steps

    request for volunteers or more research

    no responses so far

    MS: system colors - file bug if want to pursue
    media queries - 2 paragraphs - concern that those will be used
    for a11y & we wanted to test
    Marks-MacBook-Pro:RawLineEdit msadecki$ but there's a separate
    spec for that, so recommend no action

    RS: agreed

    MS: only IE makes title accessible
    spec doesn't say it needs to be keyboard accessible

    group: title also important as fallback for AT

    JS: 5.1 might be the target for the bug

    cynthia: WCAG might want to look at existing & new title
    techniques

    group: title issue will be addressed as a bug

    MS: lang interoperability issues - need more info about the
    issues

    group: we need to look at the accessibility APIs

    <MarkS> ACTION: for Cynthia_Shelley to investigate what MS
    products do with lang attribute

    <trackbot> Error finding 'for'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

      [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users%3E.

    <MarkS> ACTION: cyns to investigate what MS products do with
    lang attribute

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-189 - Investigate what MS products do
    with lang attribute [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2013-08-15].

    RS: so, reactions to the lang attribute are up to the user
    agent

    PC: good research would be to search xml:lang
    there are open bugs on this
    such as make lang and xml:lang synonyms

    JS: core question - do we have a pipeline into the apis

    janina asked Cynthia to look on Microsoft, she agreed

    RS: check forAPI mappings

    JS: we need to know that across the APIs

    RS: analysis needed for 5.1

Longdesc Status Update

    MS: don't need to pursue

    RS: if there are strong native semantics, make sure aria
    attributes does not get mapped
    need to check specific items: radio button with role="button"
    should not lose checked/unchecked state
    table summary is going away, what is the expected behavior

    group: most negative thing that happens, is not validate

    Cynthia: there should be WCAG techniques about table summary
    folks will want a simple replacement for summary

    JS: do we or do we not test what 5.0 spec says about summary

    group: spec recommends using detail within caption, but there
    are problems with that
    caption labels a table
    details inside caption let's you expand/collapse and anything
    can be in details

    group; question is how would that map to an a11y API

    JS: we need a separate discussion on whether there should be
    bugs filed on author guidance

    MS: next issue caption element: to pursue, we need to demo
    interoperability issues
    are there any caption-related bugs?
    will search bugzilla
    next is button element with a lot of new attributes
    need to provide tests and examples to see if there are
    interoperability issues - think of what those might be
    next is links: need to demo interop issue to pursue
    what is a link appears in fallback content, will it be mapped
    correctly to ally API

    other elements besides canvas?

    RS: probably mainly canvas

    MS: new link types might cause a11y issues
    would need to demo issues

    group: type is a new attribute

    MS: next is tag clouds - this would be a bug or a
    recommendation, not an area for testing

    JS: longdesc = HTML extension spec in last call sponsored by
    this group

    RS: is there any way that it might be added to the 5.0 spec?

    JS: a month ago, decided we would ask for it to be folded back
    into the spec, when the time came

    RS: main element status: test to see that there's an API
    mapping

    JS: we have general agreement on MS's recommended dispositions

    MS: regarding testing, is there something else bug triage group
    should do, given low activity, can they help with testing

TF Work Statement CFC
[16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0044
.html

      [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0044.html

    JS: PF & HTML sponsor this and there are different expectations
    as to what a teleconference can do
    due to this, the work statement should clarify
    can we raise objections in the teleconference?
    can we make decisions in teleconference if we document it
    propose email discussion on this by next Thursday
    PF wants to allow TF to state how they wish to work

Alt Edits Completed

    canvas 2D testing:

    MS: trying to find people to help

    JS: priority for this meeting: go to topic 8

HTML 5.1 Objectives -- Open Discussion

    JS: think about what we want in 5.1, that we don't have in 5.0
    1. where the perfection points are: revisit aria mappings;
    media; etc
    2. additional items like a calendar picker should work
    2. additional items like a how calendar picker should work
    please think about this type of item and make suggestions to
    the list

    RS: we need to sync up with aria 1.1
    things like dialog being implements, but difficult for web
    developers, make use of dialog

    JS: meet next week, but following week MS is out & following
    week is "geek week"

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: cyns to investigate what MS products do with lang
    attribute
    [NEW] ACTION: for Cynthia_Shelley to investigate what MS
    products do with lang attribute

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [17]scribe.perl version
     1.137 ([18]CVS log)
     $Date: 2013-08-08 18:59:33 $

      [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 8 August 2013 19:03:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:27 UTC