Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

John Simmons writes:
> As a data point, the Common File Format used by UltraViolet (which is fragmented MP4 for a reason) prohibits the encryption of closed captioning.
>
> In general, the model that works best for the web is one where "late binding" of tracks from a variety of sources are combined together into a composition. One of those tracks could be captioning, and with late binding, there is no upper limit on the number of captioning tracks that can be defined to be included in that composition.

Excellent to hear, thank you.

Also, I like the term "late binding." It's new to me. But, if that's the
generally understood industry term, we'll update our User Accessibility
Media Requirements doc accordingly:

http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

Also, as an additional data point, let me note that there are a myriad
set of alternative media types that need to be bindable, not just
captions. The above (emerging) W3C note addresses those.

Janina