Re: HTML5 should not 'strongly encourage' authors to use only H1 level headinsg

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:22:32 +0200, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>> Actually, the outline algorithm is currently up on the "at risk" list.
>> So I don't think that we should be removing anything that relies on it
>> without having removed the actual source.
>>
>> I therefore suggest that if we do remove the outlining algo at the end
>> of the spec, we should likely remove this advice as well. But not
>> sooner.
>
> The text in question is non normative advice, whether or not the outline
> algorithm goes or not is immaterial. The issue I am raising is that we
> have bad advice in the spec, that is urging authors to construct
> outlines for non existent consumers to the detriment of all exisiting
> consumers.

Seconded. The current text is inherently bad advice unless the outline
algorithm is ubiquitously implemented, since it suggests doing something
that might work in future and breaks existing tools.

Were the outline algo implemented anywhere it is still debatable whether
it is good advice to only use h1.

Indeed, the final paragraph at the end of
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-aside-element.html#the-h1,-h2,-h3,-h4,-h5,-and-h6-elements
is a statement that authors may choose either approach according to their
preference.

I agree with Steve, the text in question should be removed.

cheers

Chaals