Re: [HTMLWG] CfC: Adopt "Plan 2014" and make some specific related decisions

On Oct 8, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> * Agree to rename the "HTML5 spec" component to "HTML spec", and only bring back specific bugs that address interoperability issues or can be addressed by a non-substantive change to the specification
>
> What is the reasoning behind this change?
> I don't think that this is actually helpful, because users have to
> register a bug against either the spec that we are taking to REC or
> HTML.next. Since the spec that we are taking to REC is HTML 5.0, I
> would prefer we keep this component as "HTML5" - it is far less
> confusing. Alternatively, "HTML5-CR" or "HTML5-LC" or "HTML5.0" would
> make sense to me, too.

To give more detail, the proposal is this:

(1) Rename the current "HTML5 spec" component to "HTML spec".
(2) Create a new component named something like "HTML spec (5.0 stable version)" or "HTML spec (5.0 CR version)" which starts out empty.
(3) Only move handpicked bugs to the newly created stable version component.
(4) Likely similar changes for other spec components as applicable.

I hope that clarifies the intent. There will in fact be a component that's very clearly for the HTML5 CR, but it will start out empty, rather than inheriting all current bugs. We plan to discuss timing and logistics of this with the editors.

Regards,
Maciej