Re: Change Proposal for Issue 194

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
> <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was told that hidden <a> elements are a real problem, since they
>>> gain keyboard focus. Putting the link into a <div>-like element avoids
>>> this.
>>
>> Today, a simple link to a transcript is one of the two common ways of
>> surfacing a transcript.
>>
>> Authors who want to hide the link can use CSS "display: none;" in all
>> browsers applying their CSS or HTML @tabindex="-1" to remove the link
>> from the tab order in all browsers. If we continue to allow references
>> into @hidden content, they could also use @hidden to hide the link.
>>
>> Alternatively, authors can leave the link in the tab order and use CSS
>> or JS to ensure the link is visible on focus.
>>
>> Using a normal a@href has a better backwards compatibility story than
>> adding an attribute to transcript.
>>
>> So I don't understand the problems with:

> I don't mind this approach.
>

>> or

> This has all the problems that I listed about lack of semantics, lack
> of machine-discoverability when used without an actual <video> element
> etc. See previous email.

I don't understand … the semantics and the machine-discoverability
arise from the @transcript attribute that refers to the a element by
IDREF:

<video transcript="transcript"></video>
<a id="transcript" href="url">Transcript</a>

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis