Re: Promise broken on ISSUE 204?

Maciej Stachowiak, Mon, 07 May 2012 15:17:01 -0700:
> On May 7, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

>> As far as I know, nobody has put forward a single example where they
>> are happy to declare that placing accessibility-related content in
>> @hidden would be better for users and authors than alternative
>> techniques.
   < snip >
> I personally have no personal opinion on whether this
> construct should be conforming for authors.

Benjamin, one of the alternative techniques authors are going to use,
is
   <element style=display:none >Hide me.</element>,
which, as you said, would be problematic if viewed without CSS enabled.
The same goes for placing content off screen. Thus, for authors, it
would often better to place it inside
   <element hidden >Hide me.</element>

You also suggested:

>> when JS is available, hide extra content off-screen but move it
>> on-screen if it receives focus?

My question: Why can't this method be used in *combination* with
@hidden? It seems at least John F's updated version of the change
proposal, nothing would prevent you from doing that.

The alternative is to use <element aria-hidden='true'> - which means
that one must use CSS as well - which, in turn, would have the CSS
issues.
--
Leif Halvard Silli