long text descriptions for video (was Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: ARIA-DescribedAT & Longdesc)

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>:
>

>> Secondly my opinion: if we are not planning to introduce a
>> @aria-describedAt attribute into HTML5, we should drop issues 194 [3]
>> and 203 [4] and defer them to HTML.next. I don't want to see the
>> problem of long descriptions / transcripts solved for <video> elements
>> in isolation from other elements. It would make more sense to have a
>> common solution on all elements.
>

> Hi Silvia,
>
> While I generally agree with your sentiment here, I strongly disagree with
> the notion that a full transcript of a longer-form video is the "longer
> description" of the video itself, and conflating the two is misleading and
> inappropriate.

Why is there a need for more than one long text representation of the
video that is machine-linked to the video?

Sure, there are many different types of long text descriptions that
you can get for a video. But we don't have to link them all
individually to the video. How would we visually present all of these
alternatives? How would we present them to AT?? Instead, if we really
have more than one long text description, we can always pack them into
the HTML page that the long text description link references.

> A transcript has a "legal" place in many legislated
> requirements, and is its own unique textual file, independent of a longer
> description of what a video is about - it is instead a verbatim recording of
> dialog, etc. of a video.

The type of transcription/transcript/whatever that I've been talking
about would contain both a full transcript of what is being said plus
a description of what can be seen.

> What would we use to provide a longer textual
> description of "Un Chien Andalou"?

No different.

Regards,