Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM, janina@rednote.net <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> Maybe this will help ...
>
> From my perspective it matter not where the poster comes from. It
> matters greatly how it functions in the UI.

Excellent, we agree.

> A paused frame from a video is functioning as a static image. That is
> its role on screen. That is how it needs to be treated.

Excellent, we agree.

> It's genesis matters not at all from the a11y perspective, anymore than
> it matters whether there's a 35mm movie or a betamax video original.

Agree again.

> If I'm wrong, kindly explain how an external jpg can fill the functional
> role? Surely you don't argue that jpg is part of the video?

When you see an image at the start of the video, you do not know if
it's the first frame of the video, the n-th frame of the video, or a
jpg being pulled in as a placeholder for a frame of the video. It can
be any of these three. Therefore, since we agree that what matters is
the UI and how it functions in the UI, there is no distinction between
a paused frame and the poster. Therefore, from a logical and UI point
of view, the jpg is indeed part of the video and its genesis does not
matter.

Regards,