Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Mar 20, 2012, at 15:35 , Charles Pritchard wrote:

>> What use is a description of the front door, if I am unable to consume what they actually serve?  "Oh, I'm sorry you are starving, but at least you knew that it was a beautiful front door, all lovely blue, with little clouds painted on it."
>
> First, that's useful information, it engages the reader, it includes the person whether sighted or non, in the narrative.
>
> Second, "as well as accessible internal architecture", means what it says. The door, as well as the inside, should be made available.
>
> We're arguing about the doorway at the request of several vendor-developers. I don't particularly know why there is such push-back. It doesn't require much in the way of coding. It's not semantically bloated, it's just one word in a rather large vocabulary.

I don't mind dealing with the triva *after* the main problems are solved.  I don't mind looking at backwards-compatibility *after* the future support is solid.  But we spend most of our time in accessibility on this group focused on preserving everything from the past, rather than inventing the future, and dealing with trivia, and not the main problems.

I just hope that I'm never in the position of needing accessible access to a restaurant Charles manages, as it seems you prefer to focus on describing the front door before describing the menu (if ever). :-(

David Singer