Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On 03/20/2012 02:43 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Chairs, Laura and all,
>
> Please accept this change proposal to allow @longdesc on any *embedded*
> element in the HTML namespace which has the  implied or specified 'img'
> role:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LinkLongdescToRoleOfImg
>
> The main idea of the CP:
>
> * To allow @longdesc on any *embedded* HTML namespace element of
>    role 'img': img, iframe, canvas, embed, object.
> * To say that @longdesc should only be used for describing images,
>    and thus not for describing e.g. tables - tables can be a task
>    for ARIA-describedAT, and I justify why in the CP.
> * The limitation to embedded content is because, on such elements,
>    contextual menus - which is how longdesc is typically presented,
>    have pretty good discoverability in non-AT user agents: Users
>    tend to use context menus on such elements. Compared to on
>    'normal' elements, which usually do not have context menus,
>    except a general context menu for to the entire page.
>
> For the video element, then I am open to consider the idea of that
> @longdesc could point to a poster description: It makes some sense, as
> the poster is an image. But I have so far not included that in the CP.

First: is there any way that the people who are working on these
proposals (in this case this includes, but is no limited to: Laura and
Leif) can work together to converge on a single proposal?

Second: what we will need in order to proceed here is use cases that
directly and specifically require the addition(s) described in the
Change Proposal.  Testimonial that some are willing to implemented it
(both authors and implementors) would also help your case.  Failing
that, I suspect that the answer would be that at this time, this is best
addressed either in an extension spec or in a subsequent release of HTML.

Compare the use cases that were linked to by the original longdesc
change proposal:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/index.php?title=LongdescRetention&oldid=7512#Use_Cases

Against the ones that were provided by the revised proposal:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc/UseCases

- Sam Ruby