Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:56:26 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote
> On 13/03/2012, at 5:53 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
>> Quoting Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>:
>>> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:04:16 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli

>>> The specification can be done in a tiny amount of time if that is
>>> needed. But without implementor commitment, it just isn't needed very
>>> urgently. Understanding the basics can be done just as well by
>>> implementing longdesc...
>> Let's be crystal clear: without further support from the tool vendors
>> (and I sidestep the fact that the browsers are a significant, but not
>> exclusive member of that group) @longdesc will languish under-used,
>> cheating users from functionality they require. But rushing to dump it
>> and insert something "new" with even less support is stupid, and I will
>> go so far as to suggest that anyone who fails to understand *THAT* also
>> deserves the same title.

Sure. What I meant by the below though, is that if it is stupid, but
*works*, then it isn't so stupid.

>>> If aria-describedat will get implemented, that is pretty much trumps
>>> for me. But if an ongoing discussion about it is an excuse to do
>>> nothing for a few extra weeks, I'd rather talk about something more
>>> productive.
>
> We're spinning in circles. If implementers would rather implement a new
> attribute the same across all browsers and for more elements than just
> img, we should enable them to do so. Refusing to produce a spec because
> isn't helping.

I absolutely agree. If there is a will to implement, I don't think
producing a spec is the issue. If that were the roadblock, I could find
resources to make sure a spec is produced in a timely manner.

I was trying to point out that *without* implementation commitment, having
a spec is not that useful, since it requires some days of real work and
the result isn't so different from where we are already. Certainly I think
it should be obvious to a person of reasonable intelligence and
familiarity with the state of the art roughly what such a spec might say.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk