Re: [media] progress on video transcript discussion

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> David MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> Good discussion....
>>
>> Sylvia's suggested code snip for the use case of embedded video:
>>
>> <video src="video.mpg" aria-label="video with transcript below"
>> transcript="@this_page#transcript"></video>
>>
>> I think this would confuse a blind user... double message..."transcript
>> below", and transcript linked from video element... but there is no
>> transcript below... just the linked transcript from within the video
>> element
>> ... maybe the linked version should drop the aria label, or change to
>> say
>> "video available" or something...
>>

> My larger issue is focused on reaching for ARIA every time an accessibility
> question comes up. I am a huge fan of ARIA, and rejoice in how much support
> we increasingly see from AT tools for ARIA. I am thrilled to see it being
> used more and more every day in mainstream development, but we must all
> remember that it is designed for (and currently only works with) AT tools,
> which only cover a small percentage of people with disabilities.

I am proposing ARIA as a solution where only people with disabilities
need it. Where everyone needs a solution (and there is indeed such a
use case), I have proposed a different attribute - you might want to
re-read my proposal (sorry it got so long, but reasons need to be
explained).

Web developers in search of a solution for users with disabilities
will turn to ARIA now - that's an achievement to celebrate and a
trodden cowpath that works. I am just following it for the part of the
transcript problem that relates only to users with disabilities.

As for the programmatic linkage that you are after: my proposal
actually includes this with @transcript being a URL and not an IDREF
any longer for the reasons explained. Since it is now very clearly a
link, it is indeed possible for developers to experiment with buttons
or other interaction mechanisms on the video player if they want to.
So, I think it meets the requirement that you're posing.

Regards,