Re: most of the links are toast in this document

Hi Steve,

> @2012-01-05 01:40 +0000:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Rich is correct that many of the links are incorrect, this appears due
> to changes in page content, URLs and doc fragment identifiers across
> revisions of the multipage version of the editors draft of HTML5.
>
> for example this URL
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/grouping-content.html no longer includes
> the relevant content.

Sorry about that -- I made some changes recently without checking to make
sure they actually took without breaking anything.

What I did was to change the behavior of the splitter that generates the
multipage version, such that each element now has its own page; e.g.,

  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-figcaption-element.html

...which was previously here:

  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/grouping-content.html#the-figcaption-element

Ironically, I did that in part in order to make the URLs more stable...

But what I neglected to do was to check and make sure that the previous
URLs would automatically redirect to the current ones.

But I've now fixed that. (Though it does rely on client-side Javascript in
order to do the redirect.)

At some point when making changes I borked the part of the multipage build
that adds the calls to the JS function that does the redirects, but I've
un-borked it now, so it should work as expected going forward.

> Can you advise on the stability of URLs etc over time?

Most of the current URLs should be relatively stable. I can't guarantee
all of them, because sometimes they change upstream or end up getting
different number suffixes appended to them. But the URLs for the individual
elements are now stable at least.

The existing links in the current APIs Implementation Guide should now all
"work" again -- in that they should redirect correctly (as long as you are
OK with the redirect depending on JS). But going forward, you should at
some point go through and update them to the actual correct targets.

> Can you advise on a form of the HTML5 spec that is not out of date,
> but does include referencable URLs?

Going forward, the dev.w3.org editor's draft should be that. I do not plan
on changing the splitter behavior again -- but if/when I ever do need to
for some reason, I will make sure to give everybody a heads-up.

Again, I'm sorry for having messed this up.

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/+