Re: change proposal for <main>: possible validation warning heuristic for misuse

Hi all,

have been analysing some of the data I collected previously [1]. Of 50
pages [2] I have looked at so far (from the set of 400+ pages[3] that I
have added styles to provide easy visual identification of elements
with id=main|content)   > 90% of elements with an id=main|content do indeed
contain content that excludes header/nav/footer type content.

you can see the results and source pages for your selves:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlVP5_A996c5dHozOW14RkF4NEdEUFRvemxCZ2I4Z3c

I think this is a reasonable indication (please point out if my analysis is
incorrect0 that there is a common concept of what is considered the main
content area of a document and that fears of misuse of an element based on
this concept are over emphasised.

Do I need to analyse more of the data set or is this enough?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Oct/0109.html
[2] starting from 296 in the list
[RDS.ca<http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/HTML5-main-content/www.rds.ca/index.html>
]