Re: change proposal for <main>: possible validation warning heuristic for misuse

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> <chair hat off>
>
> Hello Steve & James,
>
> One concern raised by WebKit contributors was that <main> could end up
> getting frequently misused, and as a result, could harm accessibility.
> James's conformance rules will slightly reduce misuse, but probably not
> eliminate it. However, if these plus the current conformance rules capture
> the scenarios of misuse, how about making <main> not have an implied
> role=main in these cases? In other words, make it affect implementation
> behavior as well as conformance. This would significantly reduce the
> potential downsides of <main>, I think. And in the case where you truly
> need to violate these rules to mark the main content, you can always use an
> explicit role=main.

Not sure about this one.

Another related thought: if the rule for finding the main content becomes a
> little more involved based on the above rules, then perhaps the spec could
> document how to find the main content when no <main> element or role=main
> is present. This would end up documenting the semi-mythical "Scooby Doo
> algorithm" for cases when the <main> element is absent. I think a unified
> "find the main content algorithm" applying these sets of rules would be
> really helpful to accessibility, it would help make clear why an explicit
> element is helpful even with a fallback approach, and it would clarify that
> the two need not conflict.

I agree with this suggestion. I would also like to see "Scooby Doo"
documented properly. I do wonder, however, since (if?) it is only
accessibility related, whether it should be in the HTML spec, or in the
mapping spec of Stever, or in a WCAG spec.