Re: Updated ISSUE-206 CP

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:25:48 +0100:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Leif Halvard Silli:
>> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:12:13 +0100:
>>>
>>> Today's AT allows users to configure whether they do or do not want
>>> images without provided alternate text announced. I don't think we
>>> should be trying to override user configuration …
>>
>> 3 questions:
>>
>> 1. So do AT in general treat @title and @alt as one and the same thing
>> when it comes to that configuration? (To test whether it has any
>> impact, one may use this page, which is what I used when writing the
>> CP: http://malform.no/testing/html5/img-role-vs-alt/ )

So I still don't know the answer to this.

>> 2. What if such an image contains @aria-label?
>
> What difference does it make? The images in question aren't likely to
> have @aria-label.

Well, of course, one may focus solely on "the images in question" ...

>> 3. Does it really hurt if they are unable to no disable announcement of
>> images that are key content?
>
> Screen reader users sometimes complain about verbosity and they use
> configuration to tailor the verbosity of output to suit, so yes.
>
> AT vendors don't add these features just for the sake of it. ;)

Of course not. There are very many presentational images without @alt.

However, for 'the images in question', a generator should have
relatively good control over whether the images *are* key content.
Hence, I don't share the view that it is necessary to make sure that AT
user can disable being told about them.
--
leif halvard silli