Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: ARIA-DescribedAT & Longdesc

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:35:14 +0200, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:38:44 +0200, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
>> <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> So if we want to push to make @longdesc conforming, we should
>>> arguably also be pushing to:
>>>
>>>   - Suggest in authoring guidance that authors make long descriptions
>>> discoverable using visible webpage elements.
>>

>> Actually, we should be pushing user agents to make long descriptions
>> discoverable. [...]
>>
>> I think we can confidently say that discoverability is something that
>> longdesc needs to work well. Since I don't think we are in a good
>> position to [say how...]
>
> I think we're talking at cross-purposes.
>
> You seem to be talking about W3C should recommend to user agent
> developers (I agree we should not require any particular user
> interface for user agent conformance.)

Yes.

> I'm talking about what W3C should suggest to authors trying to produce
> long descriptions that are accessible to all end users who might need
> them.
>
> Until vendors widely implement @longdesc UI, it is harmful to suggest
> such authors rely on the @longdesc attribute.

True, up to a point.

[...]
> Reporting implementation status information for all features, perhaps
> with a note about alternative techniques, would be better.

indeed. And I say that knowing that any such information is itself likely
to be only half-right soon.

cheers

       je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk