RE: Agenda: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 25 May at 21:30Z for 90 Minutes

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> > agenda+ Paused Media: Continuing Discussion
>
> And on this point, it would be good to get people's opinions/feedback
> on http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-
> a11y/2011May/0466.html

Hi Silvia,

I have been thinking about this more, and have a Draft email that I hope
to complete this evening. Sadly I will also be posting my regrets for
tomorrow's teleconference as I have a campus commitment I cannot avoid.

There *may* be some issues/problems with our scheme, but I need/want to
involve some others into the discussion. At issue is how the text that
aria-describedby is subsequently processed - does it retain its markup
(for example when using <span lang="fr">) or does it become flattened
unstructured text. If it is the latter we might have a problem both with
i18n, but also with the solution to the longer description (<a
href="longerdescription.html">).

There is also a question about support for multiple values of
aria-describedby, both in terms of browser support, but equally if not
more importantly with AT support. This may not have a huge impact on
browsers, but coordination with AT vendors will be critical. For example,
we are looking at using 2 <p>'s with unique ids to provide text for both
visual objects. The question is/will be how is this read aloud?  Will it
be "text describing the video" [pause] "text describing the still image",
or will it be "text describing the video text describing the still image"?
(remembering that the describedby is referencing the *content* of the
container of the id, and not grabbing the semantics or behavior of the <p>
- this *might* be able to be mitigated by CSS3 Speech
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-speech-20030514/#pause-props) *IF* we
get some support from the screen readers and others (Voiceover, Chromevox,
etc.).)

Finally, I want to ping PFWG and the ARIA Working Group about the
possibility of adding new roles (role="mediadescription" and
role="posterdescription") as having them may also factor into a more
scalable and robust solution moving forward.

I recognize that we are building something for the future, so even
identifying these issues does not necessarily invoke stop-effort, but this
will require a fair bit of discussion and finessing to get right, and
involves numerous other players in the big picture game.

More this evening (all being well).

JF