RE: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Would it not be much more useful to have:
> <video src=".." controls aria-label="Yahoo! Media Player showing blah
> blah blah" [poster=".."]>
> </video>

How would this render on screen for those users who have a very slow
connection and are browsing with images disabled, are using a text-only
browser, or have images disabled to save on download costs?

No other instances of aria-label display text on screen (in fact the ARIA
spec states that it is inappropriate to do so), why should it here?

> The way in which I look at the placeholder image is as a background
> image to the play button which contains information on why I should
> hit "play".

Then the aria-label there should be: aria-label="play button".

***************

"The purpose of aria-label is the same as that of aria-labelledby. It
provides the user with a recognizable name of the object. The most common
accessibility API mapping for a label is the accessible name property.

If the label text is visible on screen, authors SHOULD use aria-labelledby
and SHOULD NOT use aria-label. There may be instances where the name of an
element cannot be determined programmatically from the content of the
element, and there are cases where providing a visible label is not the
desired user experience. Most host languages provide an attribute that
could be used to name the element (e.g. the title attribute in HTML
[HTML]), yet this may present a browser tooltip. In the cases where a
visible label or visible tooltip is undesirable, authors MAY set the
accessible name of the element using aria-label. User agents give
precedence to aria-labelledby over aria-label when computing the
accessible name property."
(source:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-wai-aria-20100916/states_and_properties#aria-
label)

Situation C: If non-text content is a control or accepts user input:
  * G82: Providing a text alternative that identifies the purpose of the
non-text content using a short text alternative technique listed below
  * H44: Using label elements to associate text labels with form controls
(HTML)
  * H65: Using the title attribute to identify form controls when the
label element cannot be used (HTML)

(source:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20071211/text-equiv-all.
html)