Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2011, at 17:13 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>

>>> I think the point is that the poster and the aria-label are both about the video (they are peers) so it might be better to say
>>>
>>>  <video poster="media/ClockworkOrangetrailer.jpg" controls
>>>        aria-label="A Clockwork Orange movie trailer">
>>

>> I think that would be wrong. The sighted user doesn't gather from the
>> placeholder frame that it is a movie trailer.
>
> They do when they watch the movie, and the label is on the *video*, not on the poster frame.

We are indeed not talking about representing what comes up when the
video is being watched - that is already covered by other means.

>> I'm barely trying to go there, but .. maybe we should call this
>> @posteralt
>
> I don't think we should have alt for the poster.  The poster is there as a substitute for an often-boring (e.g. black) first frame, that's all.

It is what the user sees and what we need to provide a text
alternative for, no matter what we call the attribute. What we do not
need to provide a text alternative for is the video content.

> It's the video we need to provide alternatives for, for the non-sighted user.

We have that with audio descriptions, text descriptions, interactive
transcripts, timed transcripts and now @transcription. As the sighted
user doesn't get a summary of the video when looking at the image,
neither should the non-sighted user.

Silvia.