Re: Moving longdesc forward

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Laura, could you add text to say that implementations which open the
> longdesc URL in a window or tab, should open it in a *new/blank*
> window/tab

I do not think we should add this as an expectation or constraint.

Not all user agents support multiple browsing contexts.

You mention that users are not usually given a choice about where
to open @longdesc, but there's no particular reason why they
should not be given the choice. For example, if I open a context
menu on a link I am usually given the choice of opening it the
same or a new browsing context.

> and ensure that - when closing the window/tab, the user is
> taken back to the originating window?

I do not think we should add this an expectation or constraint.

It would be poor usability to reuse a standard feature (windows/tabs)
but then make it behave differently in an edge case to other instances of
that feature.

Your description of Opera's behavior does sound problematic, but if one needs
to introduce such a difference to correct it, that argues strongly in favour of
implementing @longdesc a different way for that user agent, e.g. using inline
replacement, defaulting to opening in the same browsing context, or using
a sidebar.

Chaals, it would be great to have your view on this.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis