Re: Another run at grappling with @poster

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 03:32:00 +0200, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
wrote:

> As we returned to the this issue, Silvia (and I) re-examined the
> requirements and cooked-up a different approach. It leverages ARIA a
> little more than the initial suggestion I had, but on paper it looked
> like
> it could still solve the larger requirement set. Using the same example,
> but re-written in this new approach, we would have the following:
>
> <h1 id="movieTitle">Gone With The Wind</h1>
>  <video src="movie.mp4" aria-labeledby="movieTitle"
> aria-describedby="description poster">
> Mitchell's Gone with the Wind. Winner of 10 Academy Awards. A full
> description of the poster is <a
> href="file-with-the-rest-of-the-description.html">also available</a>.</p>
>  </video>

> roguish man carry on a turbulent love affair in the American south during
> the Civil War and Reconstruction.</p>
>

> With this, we have again captured what I believe to be all of the
> discrete
> semantics, and while I have some questions about user-experience, I was
> generally satisfied that for a 'professional' authoring of this by a
> developer, all of the tools the author needed where there.

IMO, the above is a big improvement, since this solution doesn't concern
itself with the source of the still image to describe.

There is, however, a problem in putting the description as a child element
of <video>. It is of course quite convenient since the objective is to
prevent it from being rendered, but child elements of <video> are
explicitly "not intended to address accessibility concerns," to quote the
spec. It also says "User agents should not show this content to the user"
which would include AT users since "show" is presumably used in an
abstract sense. I don't really have a strong opinion here, but changing
the spec to allow for such use is of course an option.

The questions (snipped) appear to be about general ARIA issues, which is
far outside of my expertise, so I'll leave this to others.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer