RE: [media] how to support extended text descriptions

Spoken subtitles are in use in some European countries, so I think this is a use case we should definitely consider.
Maybe text tracks generally should have a volume and muted setting like audio tracks.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Silvia Pfeiffer
Sent: 06 June 2011 08:56
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Subject: Re: [media] how to support extended text descriptions

Incidentally, I have another question and something that we may need
to at least mention in the HTML spec:
right now I am assuming that captions should not be exposed to screen
readers. I think it would be really annoying if everything that is
being said in the video is being repeated by the screen reader over
the top of the video's audio. Does this also match the general opinion
here?

If so, what about subtitles - in particular subtitles that are
provided in a different language? Should a screen reader expose those?
Maybe the screen reader should provide the possibility to have one
audio track turned on or alternatively a subtitle track, plus one text
description track? Thoughts?

Silvia.