Re: Two efforts to kill longdesc

Hi, Laura:

Laura Carlson writes:
> Hi Janina,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > The longdesc proposal could not
> > meet the user requirements for video and poster, and the markup proposed
> > for poster would not accomodate the user requirements behind longdesc.
>
> I have read the past  media minutes and haven't found an answer to why
> longdesc could not satisfy video and poster user requirements.
>
> Could you explain what would be needed to make longdesc satisfy video
> and poster user requirements?

Instead, let me try to explain my statement a bit more.

The alternative representations covered by our proposed ARIA syntax
include a longdesc type function. There is this single point of
similarity.

However, our ML also supports several other aspects related to the
video. At these points, there is no intersection with longdesc.

*	With video we have to work both at the level of the container
*	and with the contents inside that container.

*	One key difference is that the ARIA ml goes away when the video is
started. It does not come back when the video is paused. It will only
show again if the page is refreshed, effectively "rewinding" to the
beginning, as though the video had not been played. This is different
from alt and longdesc on static images.

	Because the video acts and appears very much like static
	graphical content until it starts playing, we've discussed its
	alternative rendition requirements using terms from static
	images such as alt and longdesc. But, of course, this isn't
	static media, only media that hasn't yet started to play.

*	It also supports a URI pointing to the transcript, if available.
*	This is independent from its "longdesc" type explication of any
*	"poster" image.

Requirements summarized in this email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0466.html

The Media Subteam minutes from 18 May: