Re: [Media] Forwarded LC comments from Geoff

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:51 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 16:08 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>

>>> 4.  current text:
>>> User agents should provide controls to enable or disable the display of closed captions, audio description tracks, and other additional data associated with the video stream, though such features should, again, not interfere with the page's normal rendering.
>>>
>>> suggested change:
>>> User agents must provide controls to enable or disable the display of closed captions, audio description tracks, and other additional data associated with the video stream, though such features should, again, not interfere with the page's normal rendering.
>>>

>> I'd say: If such features are available, user agents must provide controls...
>
> I think much depends on the extent to which we expect page-specific scripts to control this.

I thought the whole idea of having captions and descriptions natively
supported in the browser is that the used does not have to rely on
script authors to write page-specific scripts for their display. Thus,
by default no page-specific scripts should be necessary to get this
content. We do allow for page-specific overrides, but they should be
the exception.