Re: Meaning of audio track kind 'descriptions'

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> I thought there was agreement in this group on the following:
>
> 1) There is a need to accommodate the two types of audio descriptions: pre-mixed and separate track
> 2) The current meaning of @kind=description is the separate track case
> 3) @kind = main+description could be used for the premixed track
>
> Mark summarized two alternatives: adding this one new kind or specifying a more general rule of constructing compound kinds of the form @kind=atomic_kind+atomic_kind.
>
> I don't have an existing use case beyond audio descriptions, although I imagine a similar situation might arise for signing: burned in or separate track.
>
> Absent any other use cases, is there support for at least submitting a bug to add the single new kind main+description?

I'd much prefer we think through all of the kinds that we have this
far and how they could turn up in combination and whether this pattern
is something that we will require for other cases, too. I am saying
this because there are two causes of action that we can take:
1. Just add an additional kind="main+description"
2. Create a construction rule for the kind attribute such that all
existing kinds can be combined with each other

In the end, the question is whether we are proposing to solve a
general use case or just this particular one.

Indeed, "main+sign" is another use case of similar proportions. As is
"main+captions" though right now we are assuming that "captions" has
the main video in it, too.
Just this example shows that we may be inconsistent right now with the
kinds, so it's worth analysing this properly.