Re: hit testing and retained graphics

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am assuming that no one disagrees that the use of canvas provide display
> and interaction with a remote system is a legitimate use case?

Do we want to allow people with disabilities to access remote systems
through their web browser, when canvas is used for visual display? Sure.

Like any use-case, this might or might not be one we can solve.

Do we want to allow people with disabilities to access remote systems
through their web browser with local AT, when canvas is used for
visual display? Sure.

But I'm pretty sure that *even* if we could provide features to enable
this, nobody
is going to step up to use those features, because the amount of work is huge
and the benefits are slim.

This is very different to the situation where people are building
their own application
that happens to use canvas for some custom controls or even a single canvas
with widgets drawn directly onto the canvas.

> If so, there is also the keyboard only case. the romote access app I linked
> to works fine with the keyboard except that when focus moves offscreen the
> view isn't modified  to display the focused content. I think this could be
> fixed by the ability to define focusable areas on the the canvas. Again this
> would not require access to the full remote accessibility stack.

You're talking about a scenario where the canvas does not display the
whole remote view? Wouldn't the best thing to do here be to zoom out
the view until it fits the canvas? (Then remote zoom features could be
used to follow cursor and keyboard focus around.)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis