Re: Request input on the potential usefulness of HTML to Platform Accessibility APIs Implementation Guide

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:41:58 +0100, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> A number of people including myself , Cynthia Shelly, Dave Bolter and
> Rich have started working on HTML to Platform Accessibility APIs
> Implementation Guide
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-api-map/overview.html>. It is currently
> intended as a informative reference produced by the W3C HTML WG.
> I would appreciate some feedback from involved in the accessibility
> implementation space in regards to the usefulness of documenting the
> mapping between HTML elements and attributes and the roles states and
> properties in the various platform accessibility APIs. And what sort
> of information should be provided, if any.

This document strikes me as helpful, and far more pleasant to work with as
an everyday reference than the larger specification documents. While I
understand Ian's concern that any divergence might result in
interoperability problems, the same holds true of the sheer volume of the
HTML5 spec, its ability to suddenly morph so anyone not reading it daily
misses a change, and various other features of standard development.

I expect to work primarily from this document in our implementation work
on connecting to platfom accessibility APIs. I trust it will have the
obvious statements of fact about what is the base reference and how to
resolve apparent discord, but I don't expect that to be a real (as opposed
to trivial or theoretical) problem beyond the usual difficulty of
implementing a work in progress.

Please continue to work on this document.

Cheers

Chaals