Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions

Laura Carlson wrote:

> That leaves two proposals for HTML-ISSUE-122. Between Steve's proposal
> [6] and Gregory's proposal [7], I would support Steve's as he
> addresses both of the bugs [8] [9] that Ian raised. Gregory's proposal
> misses half of the issue. Gregory's proposal talks about
> supplying text alternatives for purely decorative images but
> does not address providing text alternatives for thematic images.

the reason why the change proposal logged at

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/purely_decorative_images

is focused on one aspect of the issue is due to its history -- i was
tasked with an action item at TPAC 2010 during the HTML WG portion of
the meetings to specifically suggest a change to HTML5 section
4.8.1.1.7, entitled "A purely decorative image that doesn't add any
information"

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/195

therefore, my proposal, as requested by the chairs and facilitators,
was specifically to propose replacement text for section 4.8.1.1.7 --
the WG agreed during the F2F that this specific section should be
changed, as a first step towards a re-examination of ALL of the
guidance, advice and requirements contained in the HTML5 draft
concerning textual equivalents, which i (and others) have argued,
belong properly in the Alt Text Techniques document and in WCAG, to
which my proposed text specifically points...

reference: http://www.w3.org/2010/11/04-html-wg-minutes.html#item12

so, to sum up:

1. the change proposal at:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/purely_decorative_images

is intended to provide replacement text for section 4.8.1.1.7 as per
agreement at TPAC 2010

http://www.w3.org/2010/11/04-html-wg-minutes.html#item12

2. the larger issues addressed by Issue-122 and Issue-31 were to be
treated separately -- the action i was tasked with was to provide
specific replacement text for section 4.8.1.1.7 while leaving open
the issue of ALL of the advice/requirements contained in the
super-section of HTML5 being migrated to either the Alt Text Tech
document or WCAG, hence the pointed reference in the second paragraph:

"Exceptions to this rule, in cases where CSS cannot be used to display
an entirely decorative image, are covered by the HTML5: Techniques
for providing useful text alternatives. [HTML ALT TECHS] Authors are
also encouraged to consult the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
2.0 for more detailed information and acceptable techniques. [WCAG
2.0]"

which builds upon the Rationale included in the change proposal:

"Advice about providing alt text for "purely decorative images, and the
definition thereof, should be contained in the HTML5: Techniques for
providing useful text alternatives and the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines, version 2.0 (WCAG 2.0). "

gregory.