Re: [media] The specification of the MPEG DASH manifest format

On Feb 17, 2011, at 8:07 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> as discussed in today's media subgroup call, here is the current
> specification of the MPEG DASH manifest format, which is useful for
> the Media Multitrack API solution (1) at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Multitrack_Media_API :
>
> http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/working_documents/mpeg-b/dash/dash-dis.zip
>
> I personally think we would need to define a profile of it before it
> will work with our media elements - such as enforcing that only one
> mime type is used per manifest and that it works with the @media query
> of our <source> elements. But I haven't actually read the spec yet. It
> will take some time to work this out.

It is, alas, a big spec.  There are...lots of options.  But we can surely help understand it.  I can pull in experts on various areas as needed.  Ask away.  There are also public lists you can join if you want more email.

In general, it'll be better if the profile talks about what must *be* present and work, and be silent about other stuff.  Not sure what you mean by only one mime type per manifest, for example...

David Singer