Re: Proof of growth of acceptance/implementation - longdesc

On 22 Sep 2010, at 07:14, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2010, at 02:08, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> However, clearly, this demonstrates that the lack of validity and
>> definition of @longdesc in HTML5 only serves to pollute @longdesc even
>> more.
>
> How? Drew Wilson's misuse of "longdesc" is /premised/ on its validity ("longdesc is a completely valid image attribute") and he is aware of the correct definition ("is meant to contain a URL to a description of the image"): he's just choosing to ignore it.

Oh okay, in fairness he's engaging in rules lawyering about it:

"HTML4 says fullsize should link to a descrip. A larger image is conceptually the same. it's a compromise. I wont be changing it, i'll just release version 2 :)"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/65877u

I'm not sure the spec can easily protect itself against this sort of hostile misreading though (it's fairly clear in HTML4 that "longdesc" is for /text/ alternatives), and it does sound like he's saying the next iteration will use "data-*".

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis