Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

Laura Carlson writes:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Laura Carlson
> <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jonas,
> >
> >> For what it's worth, I think both the change proposal from Laura [1]
> >> and the current spec text, is too complicated and a degradation
> >> compared to HTML4.
> >
> > I agree about the complexity.
> >
> >> The 'alt' attribute is, as far as I can think of, the most successful
> >> bolt-on accessibility attribute in any version of HTML. In part I
> >> think this is due to the simple message we've conveyed to authors:
> >> "All images require an alt attribute". I don't think any of the change
> >> proposals (including the no-change change proposal) has demonstrated
> >> that there is any problem that needs to be solved with that
> >> recommendation from HTML4.
> >>
> >> If no one else writes a change proposal to this effect, I hope I'll
> >> have time to.
> >
> > I would be happy to collaborate with you and others on this, Jonas.
>
> I started a change proposal for this. It is at:
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100504

I'm confused by your actions here. You are on record voting for the
consensus proposal of the Task Force:
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20040422_text-alt/results

Indeed, you wrote it. And, you lobbied passionately and effectively for
a missing alt to be an error condition, and not a conformance
warning--reminding us that WAI consensus guidance called for an error
condition:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Apr/0089.html

So, I'm confused here. Have you changed your mind now? How are we to
understand your actions here?

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200