Re: Requirements for external text alternatives for audio/video

On Mar 24, 2010, at 11:29 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> 1) WCAG needs to be extended to include requirements that are similar
> to the requirements that other devices face. Maybe this could be added
> as a Level AAAA to WCAG2.0 (though, honestly, I would prefer a less
> repetitive and convoluted document than WCAG2.0 that deals
> specifically with media accessibility requirements).

Two responses:

a) I think rather than revisiting WCAG and lumping mobile use cases in with it, you're better off asking the Mobile Web Best Practices WG to include accessibility in their document.

b) As I'm sure you're aware, WCAG 2.0 does deal with media accessibility requirements, but the kind of technical specification going on here is clearly beyond the scope of WCAG. What is produced here is what WCAG should be pointing to in its techniques.

c) The idea of a WCAG level AAAA makes me want to run away screaming with my hands over my ears. I have a deep-seated mistrust for people who claim AAA, since they're usually deceiving either themselves or others. I'd hate for anything useful to be buried behind all that.

-