Re: Survey ready on Media Multitrack API proposal

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:08:35 +0800, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:03:33 +0800, Silvia Pfeiffer
>> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> + add a DOMString attribute @groupID to the MediaTrack to expose the
>>> trackgroup
>>
>> What should groupID be for <trackgroup><track>?
>
> This is for the JavaScript API, not the <trackgroup><track>
> specification. It goes into the MediaTrack element:
>
> interface MediaTrack {
>  readonly attribute DOMString groupId;
> }
>
>> Groups, like tracks, don't
>> necessarily have a name or id.
>
> Not when there are no groups. When there is a group, in MPEG, there is
> an ID (and in Ogg there will be, too). As for the externally linked
> markup, you are right and we may need to introduce a mandatory groupID
> attribute on the <trackgroup>. OTOH, we could use the @id attribute,
> if only we could require its use.

I'm not a fan of this approach, it just adds boilerplate to achieve the
basic use cases of multi-language subtitles:

<video>
   <trackgroup groupid="any-unique-string">
     <track ...>
     <track ...>
   </trackgroup>
</video>

>> If we want to go this way, it would be better to not use <trackgroup>
>> at all
>> and put a group attribute on <track>. I don't like either solution, but
>> would be happy to continue discussing it in the HTML WG.
>
> We don't need to change the markup for <trackgroup><track> only
> because the JavaScript API looks like this. But this is certainly an
> opportunity to harmonize the two further.

What about replacing MediaTracks with MediaTrackGroup as per my other
email? This way at least we don't have to make up unique IDs where none
are really necessary (this includes MPEG where the group is an int and
doesn't really carry any interesting information).

Unless we can agree on something I would prefer if we simply don't solve
it and submit it to the HTML WG as is to get more input.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer