Re: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 01:36:23 +0800, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>
>> A survey is ready on the "Media Text Associations" draft change
>> proposal.
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/text-associations/
>>

> I generally agree with this proposal, but would like to see the
> following changes before we submit it to the WG:
>
> + We should not mandate DFXP at this time. It has many features that
> will complicate implementation significantly which are not needed for
> this proposal. I think we should help define a DFXP profile that is more
> suitable for our needs.

For the record, I still agree.

> + The 'enabled' attribute on a <track> in a <trackgroup> should be
> invalid, as the UA is responsible for selecting the most appropriate
> track from the alternates.

What should the track selection algorithm be? Do you still want to keep
the enabled *property* so that scripts can switch between different tracks
of a group, just like the browser context menu? I am not very optimistic
about UA track selection being very useful being applying the 'media'
attribute. I also have a feeling we haven't completely thought through
what kind of selection belong on the <trackgroup><track> level and what
belongs in <track><source> (assuming we'll go with that, just like for
<audio> and <video>).

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer