Re: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Matt May wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Eric Carlson wrote:
>> I generally agree with this proposal, but would like to see the
>> following changes before we submit it to the WG:
>>
>> + We should not mandate DFXP at this time. It has many features
>> that will complicate implementation significantly which are not
>> needed for this proposal. I think we should help define a DFXP
>> profile that is more suitable for our needs.
>
> There is already a minimal profile in the DFXP spec itself.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#profile-dfxp-presentation
>
> Functionally, it doesn't ask any more than SRT does. It's really
> just adding begin, dur and end attributes to a half-dozen elements
> that already exist in HTML.

Maybe I'm reading the spec wrong, but it seems to me that
implementation of that profile requires implementation of XSL-FO.
Reasoning:

- Presentation profile requires presentation feature: http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-presentation
- Presentation feature requires implementing sections 9.3 and 9.4: <http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#semantics-region-layout
 >, <http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-presentation>
- Sections 9.3 and 9.4 are defined in terms of mapping to XSL-FO.

Implementing XSL-FO would be a pretty high barrier for browser-hosted
implementations. It's regrettable that DFXP was not based on CSS
layout and styling instead.

Regards,
Maciej