generated content Re: Table Summary Change Proposal

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 15:42:57 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

> ... I'll just bring in another thing, though: How should user
> agents of the AT class react to CSS? Specifically generated content? If
> they reacted better to generated content, then even @summary could have
> been more accessible: It is possible to make the content of @summary
> visible via CSS. To bring up another test case I made:
>
> http://m%E5lform.no/html5/summary+css
>
> The problem is that VoiceOver, which doesn't read @summary, also
> doesn't read it when it has been made visible via CSS (generated
> content). If it _had_ read generated CSS content - or could be made to
> read such content, then @summary support could probably be provided via
> the well known ways for providing content that only screen readers see:
> element{position:absolute;left:-99999cm;}

This is not VoiceOver, but a Safari bug. By design Opera exposes generated
content to screen readers, so the summary attribute on a table can be
rendered. The following code:

<head>
    <title>test generated content</title>
     p:before { content: "this is " }
     table:before { content: attr(summary) }
</head>

renders in Opera 10.10 with VoiceOver as

"this is" "the test"

"it works table"

(I didn't go into the table cells).

I have attached a screenshot of the relevant caption (if you don't know
it, VoiceOver caption is good) with the summary attribute announced along
with the fact that you are at a table for those who are interested. In any
case when screen reader compatibility is complet we would be able to
render the summary through any screen reader, including Voice Over -
either with native features of the screen reader, or as a browser
functionality (which might take a little longer to code).

cheers

Chaals