Re: summarization information delivery options: attribute or element

>> I think you are rushing to conclusions. On this page, I have both
>> hidden and shown second captions, and it works for Webkit, IE, Opera
>> and Firefox:
>>
>> http://målform.no/html5/caption+role
>>
>> You could test it in NVDA if you want, If NVDA doesn't read even the
>> *visible* second <caption>s, then we for sure have a problem. As long
>> as NVDA reads the visible captions, then trick to serve a hidden
>> caption to NVDA is some variant of:     a) make second caption
>> visible via CSS, and then use
>>     b) caption+caption{position:absolute;left:-9999cm}       (or
>> something similar) to visually hide it. (I will soon publish a demo
>> of this.)
>>

> Let me ask you something: do you think that a web designer or author
> will do this? Let's forget UAs and parsing, and what NVDA will speak
> or not: do you think a web designer or developer will do this?
> What a lot of this comes down to is one sentence you wrote:
>
> "We already have the summary attribute, which has as drawback that it
> is an attribute, and attributes are, by definition, not as accessible
> whether for those in need of AT software nor for the average Web
> author. "
>
> In my opinion, the summary attribute is a lot more palatable than a
> second caption with some not very attractive CSS. I can't speak for
> all web authors and designers and developers, but I wouldn't use it.
> Sorry, I just wouldn't.
>
> Now, you mention @summary is not accessible for AT software. How so?
> As far as I know of, summary does work with AT software. In fact, as
> far as I know of, that's never been an issue with @summary.

Leif, I wanted to add that I'm primarily going to focus my energies in
the HTML WG; that it was probably a mistake to come over to this group.
I'm a web developer/author/designer, not an accessibility person. So,
I'm concerned my email responses are just so much noise.

I look forward to seeing these change proposal(s) when they're submitted
to the HTML WG.

Shelley