Re: Alternative Canvas proposal from Charles

As long as we keep replying to all we should be fine. I have some questions
below for Charles.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote on 06/21/2010 04:29:46 PM:

> From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, David Bolter
> <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Janina
> Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>,
> Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier
> <franko@microsoft.com>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, HTML Accessibility
> Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
> Date: 06/21/2010 04:29 PM
> Subject: Re: Alternative Canvas proposal from Charles
>
> Discussion was off list for a little while. Bringing back to the
> list with Charles' permission.
>
> Note: I'm not subbed to the HTML ATF list, so this may or may not
> make it to that list. I'm only following public-canvas-api regarding
> this subject.
>

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
> > …feel free to re-post as much/little as you like to the group...
> >
> > On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:00:24 -0700, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
wrote:

> most recent version, because it includes extending image maps along
> the lines of HTML 4.01 precisely for this reason. (It is sort of
> possible to get a structure using HTML 4.01 - or the HTML5 model
> except that as far as I can see that doesn't work in any software.
> But making it easier would make more sense).

To Charles: One concerns I have with only using are map elements is
aria-activedescendant. Say I have a list box and I want to draw visible
focus on list box items managed by its parent. You really don't want to put
the list items in the tab order. So,
<map>

</map>
Were you thinking about placing a map around the option with a shape?
<map>

</map>

I am trying to see how this would work. Which focus shape gets drawn? I
don't want it to be the list box. Hence, do we really want to dump the
rectangle drawing function?

The second problem is switching the desktop to large fonts or switching to
high contrast mode. If we hard code the coordinates isn't this going to be
an issue. Ideally we would want to have the coordinates be a function of em
height.