Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-74 Canvas-Accessibility

Hi Rich,

james graham wrote:
> I had a short discussion on IRC with Hixie and Maciej about this API

here is some feedback on the current chnage proposal from Ian: via IRC (
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-430)

<Hixie> gotta love
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/canvasaccessibility
 # <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-432> [08:44] <Hixie>
"Currently the spec does not include requirements for implementers on how to
provide accessible focus rectangles [...] The details of the proposal are
[...] A change to drawFocusRing()"
 # <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-434> [08:46] <Hixie>
my god this proposal is messed up
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-435> [08:47] <Hixie> it
has authoring conformance criteria literally in the middle of a UA algorithm

# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-436> [08:47] <Hixie> it
uses the wrong coordinate system
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-437> [08:47] <Hixie>
it's self-contradictory in fact about the coordinate system it uses
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-438> [08:48] <Hixie> it
has an entirely useless set of arguments for the focus ring

<Hixie> seriously, read this:
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-448> [08:50] <Hixie>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010AprJun/att-0054/2dcontext10-June-7.html#dom-context-2d-setCaretSelectionRect
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-449> [08:51] <Hixie>
the definition of setCaretSelectionRect
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-450> [08:51] <Hixie>
read that algorithm
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-451> [08:51] <Hixie> it
has authoring criteria, it has asynchronous requirements, and then it ends
with "return true"
 # <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-453> [08:52] <Hixie>
and that's ignoring the main problem of course, which is that the entire
method is completely useless
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-454> [08:52] <Hixie> it
does nothing if you don't have an AT, so nobody will ever use it
# <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100715#l-455> [08:52] <Hixie>
plus it doesn't even do anything useful if you DO have an AT, since who on
earth has a selection area that is just a rectangle with no associated
selected text?

regards
Stevef

--