Re: Alt change proposal based on WAI CG advice for HTMLWG Issue 31: Rationale needed. (was FIGCAPTION, @alt, and @labelledby: 3 issues)

Hi Laura,

I am inclined not to support the aria-label attribute as being conforming
(on img) without some other method also being used
(alt/labelledby/figcaption) as:

it serves the same function as alt (for user agents that convey content
derived from accessibility APIs), but it has not been specified that non AT
user agents should do anything with its content apart from map it to an
accessibility APIs accessible name property, unlike alt content which is
displayed when images are disabled or not supported in graphical user
agents.

If graphical user agents did expose or be expected to expose it in the same
way they expose alt then it would make more sense for it to be used as a
substitute for alt in terms of HTML5 document conformance.

This is not to say that use of aria-label should be non-conforming, just
that it it should not be used as a substitute for alt.

also it is not currently supported by any user agents (to my knowledge).

will get back to you on role="presentation.

regards
steve

--
with regards