Re: UPDATED: Current state of the summary discussion

On Jan 13, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> 3) I left orientation, rather than switching to definesorder.  After
>> deeper reading, further consideration, and discussion, I've realized
>> that orientation is different than order.  Orientation is about
>> whether
>> the user should read the table primarily across rows or down columns.
>> Sorting/order is about whether a table is ordered by a particular
>> row or
>> column.  Unsorted tables can still have orientation.
>
> This hasn't been rejected as far as I'm aware, and indeed seems to be
> orthogonal to the summary="" issue, so I think the right thing to do
> with
> respect to the HTML WG process is to handle this one separately,
> like the
> cells API.

I agree that it would be best to handle orientation as a separate
request. In addition to it's apparent independence from summary="", it
was cited as one of the things in the original Change Proposal that
lacked rationale, along with the cell header association API, so
removing those things would fix that problem and improve the quality
of the Change Proposal.

Regards,
Maciej