Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

hi bruce,

>I think Silvia is exactly right here. We know, for example, that the alt
attribute on images (and accesskey to facilitate keyboard access) haven't
let to a >renaiassance of accessible web sites. It's about education.
(Although I do support imagemap additions to canvas)

Unfortunately nor has education "led to renaiassance of accessible web
sites", it needs to be a combination of edcuation and native methods that
developers do not have to think much about where ever possible.

If accessibility is an addition to what developers do to provide the
content/functionality then quite often they are not going to bother or get
it wrong. That is why i like the imagemap additon to canvas as it may be an
attractive proposition to developers to use in adding interaction to canvas
without them having to add anything for keyboard support at least, and the
labelling of the interactive areas can be done using a native
html mechanisms alt and title attributes for which  there  is already a
large amount of information available.
 But while imagemap provides a good tool for having a fighting chance with
providing accessible content, it does not provide all the answers to the use
cases.

regards
stevef

--